Yesterday, you took a poll on your adherence to “the rules” regarding the color white. Today, I have 5 white picks to celebrate Memorial Day weekend and tips on keeping them clean.
5 TIPS TO KEEP YOUR WHITES BRIGHT
1. Lemon Juice- Pour 1/2 cup of lemon juice in during the rinse cycle for a natural way of subtly brightening your clothes.
*Bonus– Just like when you were a teenager and put lemon in your hair to lighten it; the principle is the same with hanging your clothes in the sun to dry. After using lemon juice in the wash, hang your clothes on the line for added brightness and a fresh airy scent. [care2.com]
2. Borax- A naturally occurring mineral composed of sodium, boron, oxygen and water, has been used for cleaning for more than 100 years. This natural mineral is safe for your machine and more importantly for the environment.
3. Baby Wipes- To keep your white shoes their best, use baby wipes after each wear. If you have a dark scuff that a little elbow grease and baby wipes can’t remove, try a soft white pencil eraser.
4. Good Old Oxyclean- You don’t necessarily have to buy this brand of hydrogen peroxide brightener, there are many brands out there. If you have an especially stubborn stain, try applying a capful of straight hydrogen peroxide and then rinse with hot water.
5. Vinegar- If you have hard water (re. loads of minerals), soften your load of laundry with a 1/2 cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle to prevent a grey film from building up on your clothes. [care2.com]
Do you have a tip on keeping your whites bright? Leave us a comment and let us know.
Please refer to the Fashion Sensei Services page for more information on Wardrobe Styling Services in the Metro Detroit area or advertising opportunities.